Our experience is that there are a few keys to unlock managers, so that they are open to change how they manage.
1) It’s not in a manager’s job description to be a prick. It’s ok to be nice. This comes as a revelation to many.
2) If you want people to trust you, the first step is to trust them. Again, this isn’t obvious to many.
3) Ultimately it’s the governors who have to change how they manage managers. Change the values, goals, and management KPIs away from crude money-making.
4) show that it reduces risk not increases it
5) show that it makes everybody’s job easier, including theirs.
6) show that the results go up
7) show them the money
8) and the big one: appeal to their better selves. You’re a better person managing this way.